Oct 5, 2008

It's All In Your Head - Literally

I can’t tell you how many times in my life I have heard that phrase. There have been those who have been in pain, have gone in for a Doctor’s Visit only to be told that there is nothing wrong with them, and that it was “all in their heads”. I have noticed that in recent years, more and more people are discovering that yes – it IS all in my head – Literally! By that I mean, it’s all a mind-set . Whatever you believe you can do – you CAN do.

If you believe you’re sick, you will be. If you believe you’re thin, you are. If you have a thought somewhere in your lifetime that you will always be in debt or struggle with saving money – even if you never dwelled on that thought or really gave much time to it – guess what? You WILL be in debt and you WILL have trouble saving money! If you believe you don’t deserve better, you will never have better.

After watching this past season of CBS’ Reality TV Show, Big Brother (Season 10), I realized that there were at least two people on the show that I could really resonate with. One of them happened to be the winner, Dan Gheesling, who is a Catholic School Teacher and Football Coach from Michigan.

During the show, sometimes difficult competitions would have some of the houseguests giving up on themselves. On more than one occasion, I heard Dan tell them, “It’s all mental”. Since the conclusion of the show, I read an article written by his sister, in which she writes that this phrase was something that Dan would frequently say to her. (
http://detroit.metromix.com/tv/article/big-brother-10-detroits/636577/content)

I’m not sure if the others knew what Dan meant by that – but I did. I knew exactly what he meant.

Additionally, another article that I read stated that before Dan left for the show, he had no doubt whatsoever in his mind that he would win – that he was 100% confident. (
http://www.pressandguide.com/stories/092108/loc_20080921003.shtml)

Have you ever heard the phrase, “what you think about, you bring about”? Basically, that means that whatever you dwell on, whatever thought you decide to put your energy into…will be. It will happen – whether you like it or not. Remember all of those times that you just “knew” something bad was going to happen, and after it really did happen, you said, “See, I just knew that was going to happen”? Well, you were right – it DID happen, and you KNEW it – because you held that in your mind, you put your energy to it and you had no doubt about it, whatsoever.

The benefits of thinking positively and believing in yourself are far more than just making your day a little brighter. That’s what I used to think. I always hated to hear people tell me to think positive when I was having a really crappy day or something bad was happening in my life. I used to think it was all BS. But now I know better.

So for now, just remember to believe in yourself – no matter what the situation is. Let all doubts fly out the window. You don’t need them anyway! And when you think you CAN’T – just remember The Little Engine That Could … “I think I can! I think I can!”
It really IS that simple.

**All of the views expressed in this blog are the Opinions of its author.**

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I totally know what you're talking about. I often believe when you think negative, you lead yourself to the path. If you believe positive things, you'll lead yourself to positive place. Although, it is difficult to think poisitive 24/7 because we are just human beings.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I am totally loving your blog... will be back after my SITS day...thanks for popping by & Sharing the SITS LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total agreement with you. I actually have posted on my wall in the stairwell at home {in cut-out letters} "...I guess it all depends on what you think is real" just to remind myself that I create my own reality!

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow: I stopped by your blog cause Lavender is my favorite color and I LOVE lattes. Then I read your post! Its almost exactly what I wrote about just recently. Thanks for a great post and helping women and men stand up for themselves and fight for their lives!

    -Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all four of you for your great comments. I'm new to blogging, so I really appreciate the support! You guys are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopped by, by way of SITS . . .

    Very good post!

    Have a good day . . .

    Lailani

    ReplyDelete